Tuesday 16 August 2011

Statement from Dr Geoff Lloyd, GP on proposed NHS reforms


"As a GP, I feel most concerned about the possible disastrous consequences of being encouraged to refer my patients to private health care providers as an alternative to the NHS. I feel the inevitable end result of this will be disinvestment in the NHS leading to cherry picking of more profitable areas by private companies, and the running down of other facilities. It can only be a matter of time before we degenerate into an American type system whereby if you want to receive higher quality health care, you will be obliged to take out additional insurance.
For most ordinary people, to  embrace such a system willingly seems utter madness to me. I feel the NHS is one of the greatest British achievements in history, and would like to see it preserved for future generations."

Dr Geoff Lloyd